Thursday, January 26, 2012

The rules, they are a-changin'

Over the last three weeks I've been making various changes to my personal contract, as the need has warranted. Various things, like needing to make a doctor's appointment, have made me experiment with ways to move requirements around to make room. Taking up judo turned out to complicate things a bit, because all told it takes four hours out of my day. Some days have seen me skip it, and others have involved late nights catching up. (Another complicating factor has been my inability to get out of bed as early as I should.) I've had to account for the couple of nights when, for one reason or another, it just wasn't a good idea to stay up as late as it would take to finish everything. I made a lot of changes, sometimes several times in the same day as I thought of better ways to implement what I had in mind. My desk contains a decent stack of the different versions I've printed out and signed.

All that said, I consider this contract a success. It's given my days structure and forced me to be productive most days to a degree that I used to be pleased with achieving once a week. It's kept me from going stir-crazy. I've managed to keep to the essential rule, that I would amend it and sign a new copy rather than violating it, and that has kept me from blowing the contract off. Even if I meant to lighten the load a bit, having to sit down and write out what I intended kept me from taking the sort of advantage that I would regret later.

Today I made the biggest change to the contract, and cleaned up and streamlines the other provisions along the way. The main change was to make room for judo by removing two hours of work from the days when I practice, and adding an hour to my Saturday requirement. I cleaned up the language concerning holidays and days when I missed my quota. If the exact language is of interest to you, here it is:



Other than that, not much to report.

No comments :

Post a Comment