Monday, April 30, 2012

Martial arts and illuminated manuscripts

This morning was the judo test. This would be the first martial arts "test" I have had that was actually a test, and not primarily an exhibition. It is a bizarre experience.

There was a written test. It calmed my nerves before the skills demonstration to have something as comfortable and familiar as a written test to tackle. Testing is a skill I haven't been able to use in a long time, not really since high school. I was a bit frustrated to have lost sleep memorizing "seriyoku zenyo" when the test did not turn out to be quite so demanding.

After my testing was done, but while the higher belts were still going, I witnessed an amusing exchange. A woman with a tiny toddlerette on her knee was encouraging the child to "watch Daddy test."

Whump went Daddy's partner onto the mat.

"Oooh," said the little girl, "he's in big trouble."

I'm being coy about the result of the testing because I didn't find out for certain, although if you offered me even money I would put a substantial sum on my having passed.

Tonight I watched The Secret of Kells, which is a beautiful movie. You should see it. With your eyes. I wish (and wished) I had taken the opportunity to see it on a big screen in Seattle. Ever since, I had been putting off seeing it until I could pay attention.

It did cause me to exclaim, at one point, "What is this movie rated?" Girlfriend replied that it wasn't. I'm inclined to think that there is something bold in that. The movie contains vikings, and consequently it depicts them viking. Not that there is "graphic" violence in the strictest sense. Because nobody apparently pushed to get the movie rated G on the basis that all its disturbing elements happen just off screen, I respect it in much the same way that I was irked by The Dark Knight for getting a PG-13 rating instead of an R using the same trick.

Hopefully my respect will offset the sting of taking in less than $1 million at the box office. Failing that, a much-deserved nomination for best animated feature may have done some good. I hope that more money might have flowed to the creators since then.

Speaking of best animated features, I ought to watch Up all the way through, it being what took the Oscar the year The Secret of Kells was nominated. But I can't attempt it today. I think I have been ruined for computer animation until the memory has faded somewhat.

No comments :

Post a Comment