Thursday, July 19, 2012

Bat-ticipation

The other day I re-watched Batman Begins again, having re-watched The Dark Knight not too long ago for the fourth or fifth time. I was struck again by how much better TDK was than BB. While Begins was a fun and interesting look at how one might build the Batman character in a mostly/relatively realistic world, it wasn't great. You know, not great-great. I probably enjoyed it only slightly more than Superman Returns, all told, though I'm given to understand that I'm the only person in America who thought Superman Returns was any good. Begins was weighed down by overwrought dialogue and scenes that mostly read as the-scene-where-we-establish so-and-so, followed by the-scene-where-now-this-happens. TDK was really just a higher caliber of film. I'm also repeatedly surprised by how detachable it is from its predecessor. The actors are (mostly) the same but look at the city, the tone, the plot threads. It's like the movies are from two closely related but distinct continuities. Is there anything that happens in Begins that you need to know about to follow TDK? Posterity might forget that TDK was a sequel.

Anyway, watching this was part of a lead-up to The Dark Knight Rises. I've resolved to see it on Friday because I've spoiled myself enough for it already and I don't think I'll be able to go one day after it's come out without finding out every damn thing that happens simply by being on the internet. I expect every dimrod and nimwit who went to a midnight showing will wake up Friday afternoon and plaster the internet with OMG BATMAN DIES FROM A BOMB THAT EXPLODES IF HE LETS GO OF IT AND SO HE SWIMS IT TO THE BOTTOM OF GOTHAM HARBOR WITH IT DON'T SPOIL THIS ANYONE!!!?

That is my fear.

One story that I don't worry is going to give me unwanted insight into Rises is this nonsense about Bane representing or corresponding to Bain Capital. Some Democrat tried to draw comparisons between the two because Bane and Bain are homophones and wouldn't it be great if that meant something? Then Rush Limbaugh decided to weigh in, or hit back, or whatever it is he does these days. What baffles me is how he can think the Dark Knight franchise is carrying water for the Obama campaign, when if he couldn't read a neocon allegory into The Dark Knight he just wasn't trying. Maybe that's the answer. And not to brag but I thought of the whole Bain/Bane connection several months ago and decided not to mention it to anyone because it was stupid.

The tickets are purchased. Tomorrow I will go and see this movie with my girlfriend and then eat a delicious hamburger, probably while we gaze devastatedly across the table at each other pondering how Christopher Nolan pulverized the last of our faith in the human race.

3 comments :

  1. So. Did it pulverize your faith in the human race?

    ReplyDelete
  2. MG BATMAN DIES FROM A BOMB THAT EXPLODES IF HE LETS GO OF IT AND SO HE SWIMS IT TO THE BOTTOM OF GOTHAM HARBOR WITH IT DON'T SPOIL THIS ANYONE!!!?

    And that, Cory, is why I stopped reading your blog a week before I went to see TDKR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny. So did I. And so did Bryan, for that matter. Seriously, Cory.

    ReplyDelete