Saturday, September 22, 2012

10 steps forward, 10 steps back; and you're 30 steps from where you started

I began this blog post preparing to share a particularly macabre dream I had last night, probably resulting from am overdose of politics and Lovecraft, late hours, and the onset of a cold. It may simply be best to spare you, on second thought. So I will. Spare you, I mean.

I have had a frustrating series of breakthroughs in my story 12, each of which required serious rewriting and deleting. At least the story is getting shorter, and I'm almost equally sure that it's getting better. It makes me wonder, though, if rewriting and unwriting are inexorably part of my "process," or if I'll learn someday to outline. Yet discovering as I write is part of what excites me, which I think means I will always be doomed to discover as I write that something I have written was wrong. And maybe I'm really just wishing I could get around the trouble of revision, which is silly of me.

Many of my leisure hours (though surprisingly few, compared to some people who write on the subject) have been consumed by Guild Wars 2. It's hard to know what to say about it except... it's really, really good. An odd thing that separates video games from almost any other medium is that direct sequels are so often better than their originals. Perhaps it's our varying expectations of originality. But it's something I noticed first with Halo 2, which was just... better. Something I probably would have noticed earlier if I had been older earlier.

It's been a week, and more productive than many, in spite of my worst efforts. I actually get a Sunday. Good for me.

No comments :

Post a Comment