Sunday, January 20, 2013

Doing what I Nietzsche

All at once, late last year, I received a year's worth of back issues of Fantasy & Science Fiction all at once. You might notice that that's the only thing on the list of things I've read so far this year. My habit, when I was receiving them regularly before, became to read them all the way through right away. I'm discovering that I'm going to need to break that habit now if I want to get around to reading anything else in the next few months.

Part of the reason I made those lists of my media consumption to the left is, of course, to stroke my ego with the idea that other people might care. When, one day, more people read what I write, what I read may actually be of interest to someone. But the other reason I make the lists is so that I can keep an eye on my own consumption. I'm not so good at noticing patterns in my daily life unless the data is laid out for me.

I think it's likely that if I let the list of what I consume get boring for too long, I will become boring. Of course, one would think that boredom was its own incentive not to be boring, but history suggests that it's not always effective.

"What an odd way to be writing," I think as I look back over what I just wrote. "Is this what comes of spending a half hour reading Friedrich Nietzsche quotes randomly combined with The Family Circus panels?" This is the sort of thing Facebook contributes to my life.

Now that it's 2013, I've been able to make use of the 2013 weekly planner that I bought for myself back in October or so. By a happy coincidence, I've been filling it up with a sudden influx of freelance work. So that's going well. If not for the surge of work I don't think the planner actually would have taken, since I haven't been that kind of organized since high school. As it happened, though, it's pleasant to discover that I can keep more balls in the air than I had thought.

When nothing big is happening it's hard to know where to begin or end these rambling blog posts.

No comments :

Post a Comment