Saturday, March 9, 2013

While I'm whining...

All the negative press about the release of the new Sim City game gave me a powerful hankering to play one of the older, functioning versions. Once upon a time I frittered many hours in my cool, musty basement building cities on my Super Nintendo. The Super Nintendo survives, and my copy of Sim City survives too, but apparently I never brought it with me to Maryland. So woe is me, and I must hanker on unfulfilled.

Maybe if Dwarf Fortress would hurry up and get the next update out, I could get my management fix that way.

Whine, whine, whine. Ah, well. While I'm whining.

With every passing year I become more convinced that Daylight Saving Time is an awful idea. Have people ever really been unable, en masse, to adjust their schedules to do their business when the sun was out if they actually cared about it?

In my brief research tonight, I discovered that a few countries (Iceland, Russia, and Belarus) have decided that DST is such a great idea that they have it all year round. The mind reels. In Russia, noon is just at 1:00 p.m. Do the people there feel better about getting up in the morning because their clocks read an hour ahead of what they should? Or is this one of those systems they've worked out because they kept being late to things?

No comments :

Post a Comment