Sunday, April 21, 2013

More work. Enough work? Work.

For the first time I can remember, when Spring Break came this year I really wished I could put it off. My freelancing had slowed down the week before and, all things being equal, I probably would have chosen to stay home and look vigorously for more work. But the vacation was set, and plane tickets were bought, and in fairness to my friends, it really was better to go see them--I like my friends.

And the time for vigorously searching for work came as soon as I got back home. Nervous as I was following the dip in my income, I didn't expect the work to come in as fast as I would have liked. Maybe I was wrong; maybe I've actually built up enough experience that people are willing to hire me, or maybe I just needed to redouble (re-triple?) my work search for a few days, but I actually got plenty of work after a few days, and I seem to have established a new pace for paying work.

Some of what I've landed is even creative, although as usual it's work-for-hire and the product won't be mine. (This remains why I have never bid on a straight novel or short story writing job. I can write novels, and want to, but when I do, they will be mine. Hengist & Undine is mine, and even if it only turns $1 profit that dollar is going to be mine, too.) I'm not certain right now if I can even brag about any of it, but if I find out that I can, you might hear here about some more places you can find writing of mine.

It's a weird thing about freelancing: you often have to hunt your work, and sometimes the hunting takes as long as the work itself. It's kind of exciting--I don't know if it's the sort of excitement a person wants all the time, but it makes you feel like you're actually doing something to stay alive.

No comments :

Post a Comment