Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend

It's been a week. It being Tuesday now, the week I'm referring to would be last week, more or less. Going backwards, yesterday to Saturday my parents were here, so I was showing them around my stomping grounds in the Maryland area. (When last they had visited me here, more than a year ago, I had done hardly any stomping at all, so there was no stomped ground to show them. Now, on the other hand, when my parents want to know what I've been doing with my life, I can at least show them where you can get really good nachos.) Then, on Friday, was Girlfriend's 8th-grade class's production of Romeo and Juliet, which in spite of the odds was something many people could justly be proud of.*

We cleaned over the week, so the house is simultaneously comfortable and slightly alien. Things which I am used to seeing "around" have been put "away," which in this case could refer to either a place where they usually belong or simply a place where I would not think to look for them.

As is often the case after a long weekend, everything feels "off." Today is a Monday that is not a Monday; it is a Monday three days before Friday, a two-sided triangle. We have entered the non-Euclidian workweek.

* Protip: When watching live middle school theater,** sit closer to the front than you would for the same show performed by adults. Remember that the actors are smaller.
** Protip: When watching recorded middle school theater, drink.

2 comments :

  1. I actually noticed that all the "around" stuff was "away." And thank you for making it so.

    ReplyDelete