Sunday, December 4, 2011

Now I'm here

So, here I am, on the outskirts of Washington D.C., in the house in which I live.  I don't know how long it will take for this to stop feeling like a vacation, but I suppose Girlfriend going to work tomorrow morning will accelerate the process.  I'm not really sure if I feel weird about moving anymore; I'm going with things for now, because they're actually going all right.

This past week has been a week of lasts: last visit to Pagliacci's, Toshi's, Oasis (for bubble tea loaded with an absurd amount of positive associations), Seattle Jujutsu and Sambo club, last day of work, last time in the Hedgehog House.  It wasn't until I started counting those that it registered for me that I was moving, not just going somewhere.

I started packing on Thursday, and I really only started.  I filled perhaps one or two boxes out of what would ultimately be about twenty (a rough estimate).  On Friday I got up relatively early (or, if you consider that I had had a job as of Wednesday, relatively late) and started packing in earnest.  Is it a universal experience that packing all one's belongings into boxes taxes an order of magnitude more time than you imagine it will?  Looking over my relatively meager possessions (understanding that those of my possessions which would not be described as "meager" are few and at least box-shaped) I imagined it would take perhaps two hours to get it all packed up.

In the end, I was able to sleep on Friday night, and pack up my clothes last of all on Saturday, but I really considered pulling a packing all-nighter.  It got done in the end.

My house filled up with friends in the afternoon who made surprisingly quick work of moving all of my things into my shipping pod.  Many thanks to Abby, Alex, Anna, Bryan, Clayton, David, Jenn, and Katie for doing what I didn't realize until I saw them doing it would have been impossible to do on my own.  We filled the rest of the evening divvying up unclaimed things and ultimately going to The Ram (another last until, as with most of the others, I visit), a decadent excursion paid for almost entirely with money found in the house.  So that was cool.

So, as I said, here I am.  I flew overnight without incident.  I'm still a bit tired, so I'm blogging instead of NaNoing.  The extension I allowed myself in my last post allows me three days after tonight to write 11,296 words.  That's an ambitious number of words per day, but not undoable.

On a completely unrelated subject, JourneyQuest raised the $100k it needed to make a feature length second season, which redeems my faith the species homo sapiens internet.  It also struck me as worth noting that they had just over 1,000 contributors, dovetailing nicely (if superficially) with the 1,000 true fans theory that my friend Clayton mentioned in a comment that I really should have responded to at the time.  Anyway, it's nice to see a sufficient number of internet people come together and support something they want, not to mention that this particular project it meritorious in its own right.

I want to see that in a promotional blurb, front and center a the top of a film poster: "Meritorious!"

1 comment :

  1. Glad to hear you made it safely! And yes, packing has always been like that, at least in my experience. Congratulations on surviving through it.

    ReplyDelete